6.15.2008

My Day... My Town... My Weather

What a day. What a week. I have been awake and asleep so many times that I barely know what day it is. I have worked enough hours at the station for me to be TWO employees.

And all of this work and sleep and work and nonsense has rudely disrupted my training schedule.

I had this brilliant idea that I would squeeze in a workout today by biking to work this morning. I figured, since it would be 5:30 in the morning, there would be no traffic. Plus, yesterday, it was gorgeous out.

Of course I'm far better at planning than I am at executing my plans. But on this particular day, I'm quite thankful I decided to scrap the biking-to-work idea.

This is what the sky looked like on my way to work:




Right outside of the station, it looked even worse. I thought I saw the angry eyes of God staring down ready to smite me and my car...

Then came the rains.


____________________________________

After an eventful morning and a 4 hour nap (don't judge me-- I only got 3 hours of sleep last night), I decided I would drag myself to the Y.

Contrary to what I said in my last post, the Y is NOT closed. I just thought it was because it's barracaded with sandbags, the parking lot is completely blocked off, and no one is there. Stupid me for making that mistake.

Here is a photo of the parking lot. The red arrow shows where my car WOULD be parked if there weren't large puddles everywhere:

Like I said, the Y is right next to my bike path. The condition of the bike path depresses me. It's going to be a while before it's back to normal. The red arrow shows where I THINK the bike path is:


Even though there were only 6 people total at the Y, apparently all 6 of them decided they wanted to swim. I even saw 'Flailer' there in the far lane.

On a mini tangent... I bought a swim cap the other day. I havn't used one since junior high and I thought I should start getting used to it. Plus, I generally liked the idea of my hair being dry-ish when I was done.

So this afternoon was the first test run. When I put it on, it felt like it was slipping off. I pulled it down as far as I could, but it would inch up my forehead every chance it got.

Once I started to swim, I was amazed at how BOUYANT my head felt! It was nice during freestyle, but felt awkward when I made my turns.

I swam a total of 13 laps. It doesn't seem like much, but it's the most I've swam in one "sitting" so far. Plus, it's almost twice the distance that I need to swim for my race. However, I did stop a few times. I need to ween myself off that. Stopping to rest in the middle of Lake Michigan sounds like a bad idea.

After my swim, I took my swim cap off and found, to much dismay, that my hair was SOAKED. Apparently I suck at putting them on. I'll have to look into that. Maybe my head is too big.

_____________________________________

Leaving the Y and feeling a little pathetic about my measly 13 laps, I went to get in my car and suddenly noticed the car next to me:


For those of you that don't know, that's the symbol for an Ironman. The car also had an Ironman license plate holder. This made me wonder if this person was also swimming laps in the pool. I wish I had known that. I would LOVE to talk to them and ask them about their first triathlon. It's a long journey from completing your first triathlon to becoming an Ironman.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A swim cap - That I have got to see. You could always use the cloth type you used on swim team. HAHA!! They looked silly, even though I told you it looked fine, I am such a bad Mother!!

Steve Stenzel said...

Wow - THAT'S a bike path?? Stinkin' rain!!!

Good luck out there!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin