11.17.2009

I'm Slightly Pathetic

I haven't run in 2 weeks. My toe is definitely hurt, but I'm refusing to go pay some doctor $150 just for them to say "yep, it's broken" or "nope, just jammed", followed by "stay off it for 3 more weeks". Lame. Thus, I'm on a running-hiatus until the pain subsides.

Naturally, all this laziness means I've slowly been gaining back the 6.2 lbs I lost. Ouch. That does not bode well for me strutting around Maui in a bikini. I can still bike and swim with my injury... I've just been too lazy (and cold)... but mostly lazy. There are 2 1/2 weeks until our trip, which means I could lose another 2-4 lbs if I really start trying. I need to start trying. Tomorrow.

Either way, I'm frustrated over my current status. 4 weeks ago, I was running a 10k. I told myself I would NOT let my running fitness fall to the wayside this winter. But that's a little tough when I can't run at all!

On a more positive note, Ryan and I have been spending our freetime being all "domestic". We bought a brand new couch and chair from our living room (photos to come). We are in the process of selling our old couch and loveseat, but our new couch won't be in for another 4 weeks... so we might be hanging out on the floor for a couple weeks.

Old couch (like 14 years old)...



Meanwhile, Ryan got to meet a portion of my extended family this past weekend at my cousin's 4th birthday in Chicago. Of course I ended up as cameraman haha...



My cousin ripped her presents open in record-time. Everyone seemed happy to meet Ryan, but I think they were just trying to cover their disappointment that we didn't bring Maggie.

Side story: Maggie had her first kennel experience over the weekend. We are unsure if she's ever stayed in one before, so we thought it would be a good idea
to give it a test-run before we leave her there for an entire week in December.
Well let me tell you... kennels have become POSH. She was in a "suite", not a
cage. It was a large room with a glass door, raised bed, and television airing
Animal Planet 24/7. The price included 3 potty-breaks per day, but you could pay
for extra perks like playtime, walks, snacks, and a storytime (EXACTLY what it
sounds like). How could any dog NOT enjoy their time there?!

It's sweeps month, so work is CRAZY. That, plus something is going around (I had to take last Tuesday off due to feeling-like-death), so we are all constantly covering for our coworkers.

One of my college roommates is visiting this weekend with her chihuahua, Daisy. Then after that... Thanksgiving! I'm not too excited about the actual holiday because I have to work and won't be going home or eating any delicious turkey, but I'm excited to start shopping and decorating our apartment for Christmas!

Wow, that was a lot of nonsense. Sorry! (If you made it this far.)

I'm going to the Y tomorrow. Swimming... or biking... I swear.

9 comments:

That Pink Girl said...

Girl it happens, we get hurt. And the best way not to STAY hurt is to rest. Swimming would be good for you - zero weight on that hurty toe. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Karen said...

Tape the toe!!!!!

Rainmaker said...

Swimming is good - though biking will lose more calories quicker (unfortunate but true). Toss the bike on a trainer, and then pick out a random workout and go at it... something like:

10 minutes warm up
10 minutes low cadence work
5 minutes getting back up to speed
5x5mins @ hard effort with 2 minutes super-easy in between
10 minutes cool down

See...simple. :)

Diana said...

I hate/love sweeps months-so much to watch all at the same time!
Toes are a bitch to heal-they just take time. This is a good time to "find" something else that you like to do, kind of a force situation. I could come up with lots of ideas! Kind of sinister, but they're fun!
Hang in there!

Marci said...

Let your injury heal and you'll be back to running before you know it!

gmgizmo9 said...

I'm sorry your toe still hurts. But running and swimming *won't* hurt it. That bike work out Rainmaker posted sounds great!!

karen@fitnessjourney said...

Hi, first visit here. I am a licensed massage therapist and I would recommend that you massage the area above your toe and your calf muscles (or better yet, let someone else do it for you!) This will bring fresh oxygenated blood to the area and help repair the tissues quicker. Of course, swimming and biking will do the same thing! Hope that helps. Best of luck.

jeanne said...

poor toe! i like all these alternative running suggestions. I will toss in walking, if it doesn't hurt.
a bikini is a good motivator.

Unknown said...

I wanted to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.

How's your toe so far?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin