7.03.2008

I'm Getting Much Better

Things are going rather well. And for a pasty white girl, I'm getting super tan.

Yesterday, I ran race length (1.55 miles) again. This is my second time going that far without stopping. It took me 15 minutes (same time as last time). I am just about the slowest runner on earth. My goal is to bring that time down to somewhere around 12 minutes.

The run was harder this time. I was pretty sore in my shoulders and legs from all the biking the day before. Plus, it was 82 degrees with a hot wind. I had intentions of swimming after my run, but I was way too exhausted and the pool was way too crowded. So I went home content with my (slow) progress.

___________________________________


Today, I woke up early and went biking. It was a beautiful, sunny, 73 degree morning.

I had a brand new water bottle and cage for my new bike:


Which was SO much better than drinking that toxic water...



My new bike and I enjoyed a nice long ride. She treated me well... and I treated her well in return. I even carried her over this muddy puddle:


Nothing's too good for her.

It was 12.2 miles once the ride was done. That's the farthest I've ever gone (more due to time and logistics than my abilities).

It took me a little over an hour, which ends up being a slow average of 11 mph. But that doesn't take into account all the stoplights and drink stops and "hmm which direction should I go?" stops.

The most suprising moment of all today was when I got back to my apartment building... I wasn't ready to be done.

So my bike ride turned into an unplanned brick workout. I chained up my bike and headed out on a run.

Even though it felt like I was running so slow a snail could pass me, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I had run 1.1 miles in 10 minutes. That's a little under a 10 minute mile. Don't get me wrong... that's still incredibly slow... but considering I had just biked 12 miles, it wasn't bad at all. I'm just happy that I didn't stop and walk!

____________________________________

And now... for your entertainment, today's story:

To start off, there is the creepy little man who always sits outside my apartment building. He is dressed in shabby clothes with a long gray beard. He is always smoking and drinking a Diet Pepsi. For the first few months I lived here, I kept wondering why on earth my landlord was letting this homeless man chill out there every day.

Either way... I would say hi to him. He never said anything back. He just kinda sat there with his mouth open and stared at me. So one day, I'm getting my mail, and I see this old man come inside. I begin to panic... It's one thing for him to sit outside and not bother anyone... but I don't want him coming in here! But then he pulled out a set of keys and unlocked the main door.

... Now I was just confused. Either there is a man who lives in my building who looks like he's homeless, or there is a homeless man with a key to my building. Which would be worse?

So time went on and I became used to this creepy little man. He never ever says a word to me... just stares.

But a few days ago, I was unracking my bike from my car and I had my keys in between my legs. Suddenly, my car alarm went off. Not a big deal. I grabbed my keys and turned it off.

I grab my bike and head towards the building. When I get to the front door, the man is there smoking. He suddenly speaks,

Man: "Was that your car making all that noise?"

Me: "Yeah, I accidentally set it off. Woops."

Man: "You could cause a person to go deaf with that thing..."

Me: (laughs slightly)

Man: "... Then someone would sue you." (stares at me intensly)

Sues me? I wasn't sure whether he was joking and I should laugh, or if he was serious, and I should call the men in the white coats.

I don't think I'm going to say 'hi' to him anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! This is not something you should post so your Mother reads it. Hope she doesn't.

Kelly said...

my MOTHER worries too much

Blog Widget by LinkWithin